Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average

Archive: Flying this Week...

Great news Wayne - happy to hear that it turned out well. I was making a mental note of looking out the window late in the afternoon to see if it was still hanging off the cables, but got tied up doing other stuff. I packed two pieces of depron to bring over to the field tomorrow, but now I'll put 'em back in the scrap box.
All good - see you tomorrow!
Steve

Steve Murray

We snuck down to the field yesterday late morning. There were a lot of squishy patches but as long as you didn't eant to sit down with a 5YO flying a plane sitting on your lap, you'd probably find plenty of dryish runway for TO & Landing.

We destroyed a J-Bug on it's maiden. All the talk about overpowering was exactly it's problem along with a significant lack of wing strength. The wings were fine when the weight was suspended, but on a heavy bank, the wings folded down easily and subsequently the plane collapsed into the ground (a few times over), until the fuse was split and a wing actually came off.

This was originally a nice tame trainer when I built it last (that one landed on top of the tower) but I might try Kev's dart next.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Owen and I managed to spend our lunch-hour at the field today - we saw JohnP heading out.
Things were in pretty good condition with only a little mud here and there. We put five batteries through our planes and left pretty satisfied. The wind was coming up though, which also helped with some extra approach practice. I've got to admit I'm really pleased with that Blu-Baby, now that it's all tuned up nicely.
The main reason we took advantage of the time today was because Willyweather is saying some unwelcome things about Friday and the weekend - particularly Saturday. Hope they're wrong!

Steve Murray

please no , i want a good sunday! i need a good sunday! Smile

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Sorry Kev - it doesn't look good at this stage mate. Best option might be to sneak in a fly tomorrow afternoon ...

Steve Murray

For anyone who might be interested, and able to join us - there's a small band of renegades planning a morning scramble tomorrow.
At the moment, it looks like the weather is going to turn to #$&! for the weekend and we're going to pre-empt it by getting in an hour or two from about 9:00am. If this morning is anything to go by, then it will be perfect for Friday, but Willy is predicting 30+ km/h winds on Saturday morning, along with rain (presumably, horizontal rain). If you can make it, then please join us, we'll be parking up in the street and walking in with gear.

Steve Murray

I may be able to join you in the morning. Smile
Will charge a few batteries tonight just in case.
Will only bring my mustang down if I make it.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Yep - all good Paul. At the moment, it's Owen, Victor, KevB, yourself and yours-truly. Won't be there before 9:00am but we should be able to squeeze in an hour or two!

Steve Murray

... and of course, after a shocker of a weekend, weather-wise - today has been absolutely perfect, and still is. You need a sense of humour for these sorts of situations Frown
I'm going to go over to the field now and have a look at the state of the runways - will report back later on for those interested.
Steve

Steve Murray

Update: Anyone interested in a morning flying session this Wednesday?
After getting over to the field for a look around this afternoon (Monday) I think the field will be alright for belly-landers and small planes on Wednesday morning. Certainly the top-end of the cross-strip will be good to go.

Steve Murray

My sisters graduation tomorrow so I'm taking the day off work to do the photography. If time permits I aim to join you guys in the morning.

(18-04-2011, 10:39 PM)yarrumevets Wrote:  Update: Anyone interested in a morning flying session this Wednesday?
After getting over to the field for a look around this afternoon (Monday) I think the field will be alright for belly-landers and small planes on Wednesday morning. Certainly the top-end of the cross-strip will be good to go.

Yes I plan to be there around 8 a.m. with a couple of 2S planes. Thumbs need more exercise!

Ok, well I visited the field at about 4:30pm. The main strip is still not serviceable, but the cross-strip is good. If there is an absence of wind, as there was today, then we'll be fine with that alone.
See you there!

Steve Murray

(19-04-2011, 12:10 PM)kizza42 Wrote:  My sisters graduation tomorrow so I'm taking the day off work to do the photography. If time permits I aim to join you guys in the morning.
Excellent - I guess you'll be bringing along some birthday cake for our morning tea? Wink

Steve Murray

I'm over that way tomorrow around lunch, and will sneek in a few flights around 12pm. anyone flying tomorrow?

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Maybe Pete - can't guarantee it, but ... maybe.

Steve Murray

A brave call early but if not raining tomorrow morning, I am going down to the field around 8-8.30am. I'll be up much earlier to check out the weather conditions... like many of us. I will post again tomorrow morning to confirm.

Weather permitting I may go down to the field in the morning for some stick time Smile

Hope to see you there !!

Jason

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Me too, again depending on the weather.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Just got back from a trip up to the North Coast, so it's too late to get across to the field in person and see what the situation is.
Have we had much rain in the past couple of days?
Is the field expected to be useable by fixed wing a/c tomorrow (Tuesday)?

Steve Murray

The field was great yesterday Steve.
But it has not stopped drizzling rain since 9pm last night. If the clouds piss off the field will be ok.
Gazz

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

Thanks mate - see how it goes, I guess Smile

Steve Murray

Might as well go back to bed - it's been raining on-and-off throughout the night and it's doing it again now.
Nice weather for ... building!

Steve Murray

Not sure what happened there. Web site was unreachable for about 30 mins.

It seems the rain has eased and if it stays away, I was going to load up the helicopters and check out the field around 9am.

[ and the rain has started again. Frown ]

Jeez your keen Dave.
Willy weather has it raining pretty much non stop if you look at the Radar.
Like Steve said, Good day for building.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(26-04-2011, 09:16 AM)gbanger Wrote:  Jeez your keen Dave.
Willy weather has it raining pretty much non stop if you look at the Radar.
Like Steve said, Good day for building.

Didn't look at the radar. Too much bad news. Trying to squeeze in some flying before work resumes. Not going to happen it seems.

My school goes back tomorrow so there's no more weekday-flying for me for about 2.5 months! Frown It was good fun though Smile

Super-Chipmunk
Pitts Special
Parkzone Habu

Anyone interested in meeting up for a fly tomorrow (Wed) morning?

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Sorry Claudio, can't do Wednesdays until the end of the semester (one month away).
I've got some batteries on charge right at the moment though - as soon as Junior gets home, we're off. Should get to the field at about 4:30pm and have a good half hour of almost constant flying!

Have fun if you get there tomorrow - the weather is again, ideal.

Update: Owen and I got across to the field at about 4:45pm, thought we'd squeeze in one flight anyway ... then discovered that I'd left the Deans-to-XT60 adapters at home. The result: accusations and finger-pointing, but no flying - ya gotta laugh Smile

Steve Murray

Planning a afternoon Fly Tomorrow, Thursday.
Post if anyone is keen

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile
Thread Closed