Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Combat Wings

G'day Jason

Good stuff, I am really looking forward to getting my hands on the core.
Thanks again for organizing this.

Cheers
Rob B

Colin just dropped off the cores this evening.
And I must say they look they look very nice.
If you'd like to pick up your set just give me a call my number is on the members list
If not we'll catch up at the club next weekend weather and circumstances permitting

Smile

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

(05-11-2011, 10:25 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Colin just dropped off the cores this evening.
If you'd like to pick up your set just give me a call my number is on the members list
If not we'll catch up at the club next weekend weather and circumstances permitting

Smile

Jason,
I'll be flying tomorrow, not wure where yet, but if your around or near by, i'll pick mine up from you.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Pitts Python S12 EP 54inch EPO
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Gday Jason

The cores are awesome, thanks heaps. ThumbupThumbupThumbup
Will see you next weekend at the field to $ you up.

Gonna be a hoot getting a 64mm mercury EDF installed, and hacking it up to get a B2 like planform.
Have you used this foil before? Do you add in a bit of dihedral?

Cheers
Rob B

Hi Rob, are you available for the Aus Day prep meeting this Wednesday 16th at Toongabbie Sports Club 7pm? I tried to phone you but not sure if your mobile number is current in the PRCAC database.

Kevin B

Gday Mr Barnesy

Yep I will be there on the 16th, I have been looking forward to this since about 10 secs after I switched the mike off last year. Your ph # for me is correct, just got your msg.

Just a heads up, I will be "interviewing" Gazz on the day. We therefore need a delay feature installed into the PA, I think about 7 secs should suffice.

For example:
RB :Gday Gary, tell us about this beautiful twin engined model you have here.
GG :No worries Rob, she's a Deuces Wild and she's a f'in ripper, goes like shit off a shovel and climbs faster than a brides nightie. I think she's f'in magic and if anyone disagrees front and centre now so I can beat seven shades of shit out of you.

(Hush descends over field, small children cry)

RB : Err,ahhhh, thanks for your time Gary.

Lol
I think you get the idea.

Cheers
Rob B

(14-11-2011, 12:51 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Mr Barnesy

Yep I will be there on the 16th, I have been looking forward to this since about 10 secs after I switched the mike off last year.
... need a delay feature installed into the PA, I think about 7 secs should suffice.

Cheers
Rob B

Thanks Rob, don't know if Keiran's system has a delay, you may have to pre-record all of Gazz's interviews!

L.M.A.O.

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(14-11-2011, 12:06 PM)robair Wrote:  Gonna be a hoot getting a 64mm mercury EDF installed, and hacking it up to get a B2 like planform.

That's one build thread I'll be hanging out for - would love to have a B2 in the "hangar" one day...

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

(12-11-2011, 11:04 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  
(05-11-2011, 10:25 PM)secant0give Wrote:  Colin just dropped off the cores this evening.

Smile

Jason,
I'll be flying tomorrow, not wure where yet, but if your around or near by, i'll pick mine up from you.

(14-11-2011, 12:06 PM)robair Wrote:  Gday Jason

The cores are awesome, thanks heaps. ThumbupThumbupThumbup
Will see you next weekend at the field to $ you up.

Gonna be a hoot getting a 64mm mercury EDF installed, and hacking it up to get a B2 like planform.
Have you used this foil before? Do you add in a bit of dihedral?

Cheers
Rob B

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

I just got some pricing on wing joiner tube, I'm going to use this on the 2m version of this model
I'm going to set it up so that the motor ESC LIPo's reciever AV TX Camer OSD ect are mounted in the center section and the wings come off either side for easy transport.

I've managed to find a source of Fiberglass tube for the wing spar, sizes and prices are listed below. there are two sets of sizes that will teliscope inside each other.
I could get carbon tube but I'm reluctant to do so as it's conductive and there's a small chance it could sheild the reciever and also it's a hell of a lot more pricy!! Glass is a great option.

Lengths were just a guide for pricing peices could be longer or shorter if needed.

Section ID(mm) OD(mm) Length(mm) Price $
1 23.81 27 1500 $23.80
2 20.6 23.6 1500 $23.80
3 19.05 21.5 1500 $21.75
4 15 18.8 1500 $22.50

I'm going to order some in the next couple of weeks if you'd like to add some to the order your welcome

They also make other sizes as well
here's their web page www.exelcomposites.com

Gday Jason

I am going to use square carbon rod for the main spar and then grp rods for secondary transverse spars and then smaller sections back to the trailing edges. I have based this on the method Multiplex uses to stiffen up their foamy hotliner. I think it will be fiddly as all hell however seems to produce a very strong wing without too much weight. I have a mile or so of carbon rod so may substitute some bits for the grp?

I will have a better idea of what I am up for when the mercury EDF turbine arrives and I can start to do a concept layup.

I had a eureka moment last night in regards to my B2 plan which involves extending aft from the straight trailing edge with a balsa/ liteply buildup.
Will blueprint and post when I have this sussed it out. This means I do not have to have to hack off any foam and can largely keep the aerodynamic integrity of the foil.

Cheers
Rob B

Sounds great Rob, I like the idea of keeping it light as possable !!
I'm very keen to see what you create from these cores !!

I put up a build thread a while back on the smaller (1.4m) set of cores I used for the FPV wing
here

http://forum.rcflyingclub.com/showthread.php?tid=305&pid=9237#pid9237

It shows how I cut away the Trailing edge at the center section to clear the prop it seems to fly quite well like that.

You can see from the pics that thee's no dihedral but I can't see any reason not to put any in if you want it to be even more stable

Gday Jason

I have quite literally just finished reading right through that thread, I guess our major point of difference is that I am using an edf rather then a prop.

Cheers
Rob B

OK, with the weather looking like how it is, last night i started assembling my wing.....glued the two pieces togetherSmile

So far i like the idea of balsa sheeting the wing with 1mm sheets, given that i have plenty of that stuff lying around.

Power set-up, trying to use what i already have on hand.
Park450 890kv running a 9x6 or there abouts on 3S.

How do you locate the COG?????

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

(29-02-2012, 02:13 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  How do you locate the COG?????
Try This Link to a Flying Wing COG Calculator

Spektrum DX7 Mode 2
Parkzone T28 Trojan
HK Sumo Flying Wing.... Completly Awesome!
Scratchbuilt First Step.... Slow Flyer
HK SPAD XIII....
J-Power Mini F-18 EDF
Scratchbuilt Morane Saulnier A1....Under Construction
Scratchbuilt Luton Minor.... Retired
Unbranded OV-10 Bronco.... Awaiting Build

· On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Quote:How do you locate the COG?????

C of G for those cores is 190 mm back from the nose on the center-line of the plane.

Cheers

Jason

(29-02-2012, 08:58 PM)secant0give Wrote:  

C of G for those cores is 190 mm back from the nose on the center-line of the plane.

Cheers

Jason

I used that COG calc yesterderday and wasnt sure of the measurements;

i used these figures
tip cord - 200mm (7.9inch)
root cord - 350mm - (13.8inch)
Span - 1400mm - (55.1inch)
Sweep (distance)- 457mm - (18inch)

COG Result - 264mm - (10.41inch)

I'm entering the figures in Inches.....Is that correct?
What have i missed???

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Heres another calc
.xls Flying Wing Calc Metric October 2011.xls Size: 612.5 KB  Downloads: 227

This one measures 183mm

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

(01-03-2012, 09:24 AM)popeyepete Wrote:  
(29-02-2012, 08:58 PM)secant0give Wrote:  

Cheers

Jason

I used that COG calc yesterderday and wasnt sure of the measurements;

i used these figures
tip cord - 200mm (7.9inch)
root cord - 350mm - (13.8inch)
Span - 1400mm - (55.1inch)
Sweep (distance)- 457mm - (18inch)

COG Result - 264mm - (10.41inch)

I'm entering the figures in Inches.....Is that correct?
What have i missed???

The sweep back you entered is the dimention for the 2m span version and the other dimentions are for the 1.4m span version

It should look like the file below for the 1.4m set of cores

And like this for the 2m version

The sweep back you entered is the dimention for the 2m span version and the other dimentions are for the 1.4m span version

It should look like the file below for the 1.4m set of cores

And like this for the 2m version

Tops, i knew i wasnt right. You the man!

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Build so far;
looking to recess all components as much as possible to keep the lines clean, motor mount is also glassed on each side for strength.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

hey that's looking good!!

Don't forget to make the ailerons tapered wider at the wing tips than the root.

Will you put a tow hook on it to launch it with a bungee, catipult or the pnumatic launcher?

(05-03-2012, 04:10 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  Build so far;
looking to recess all components as much as possible to keep the lines clean, motor mount is also glassed on each side for strength.

Yes Pete Good Job Now you need to work out your color scheme or maiden it first before doing the Finishing Touches with the colr Scheme ?

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

(05-03-2012, 04:36 PM)secant0give Wrote:  hey that's looking good!!

Don't forget to make the ailerons tapered wider at the wing tips than the root.

Will you put a tow hook on it to launch it with a bungee, catipult or the pnumatic launcher?

Was planning to use balsa ailerons, so can i just cut down the width?
What kind of a tow hook is needed, was only planning to wing toss it, but if its a simple fix will add it in.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

Recesses cut, and the first Sheet of 1mm balsa is onBiggrin

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

(05-03-2012, 07:55 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  Recesses cut, and the first Sheet of 1mm balsa is onBiggrin

Progress

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)

(21-03-2012, 12:53 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  
(05-03-2012, 07:55 PM)popeyepete Wrote:  Recesses cut, and the first Sheet of 1mm balsa is onBiggrin

Progress

That looks really Good Pete, great Job with Balsa Covering.
Love the grain in the Balsa, It would look great just clear laquered but not so good for seeing in the air i guess when flying.
Love the wood look finish.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

That looks really good!!

I like how you've got the servo's all neatly tucked away, super slippery!!
The way you've joined and over lapped the covering sheets on the bottom is realy nice as well should be very strong!!

Looks like it will be very light as well !!

What motor are you going to use to power it ?

are you going to cover it with Iron on film?

Final frame weight less electronics is 620g. Total weight including battery s 950g.

Im using what motors i have spare, currently is a park450 890kv running a 9x6 on a 2200mah 3S nano.

Was thinking to paint, but now that you mention film, i think thats a better option.

Dynam Pitts 12 EPO
Eflite Advance 25e
HK P-51D Mustang
3D Reaktor
Kinetic 800

Decathlon EP 62.6inch
Stinger 64 EDF
Spektrum DX6i (mode 1)