Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

I'm looking to Fly both days this weekend, Will be late on Sunday though.
The forecast looks good but I think the wind may spoil our fun, if you get down there tomorrow and I'm not there its probably because its blowing a gale on the strip, will post from the field if I feel its a bit too nasty to fly.

Friday Field Report - 3rd July
Hi all,
The field is OK but the strip is still soft and we have not had any rain for a while.
The driving in and parking should not be a problem at the moment as the ground has firmed up.

One dissappointing thing though, since last W/E the mini bikes have been back and they have been doing dounuts and have riden over the strip leaving some quite deep trenches. I saw some of them when I checked on the field this afternoon, although is was apparent to me that some of the tracks were done a couple of days ago. The 3 bikes I that saw were, 1 green Kawasaki KX80 (an older model) and 2 pit bikes which were unidentifiable by make. :x
I think we need to do something about those "Keep Out" signs if council agrees.

I'll be flying on Sunday weather/wind permitting from about 9-00am and may come down to the field to say hello on Saturday if anyone is flying. Smile

Cheers
Chris M

hmm dont like the sound of the bike damage... there is plenty of room there i dont know why they have to use that area.. :?

by the by might be down for an 1hour or so with the little fella but if its windy i might not bother and just rip into some more plane building once i finish the lawn..

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

hey thanks for the flight on the weekend kieren certainly had a feel for fkying in wind.. Smile

as a side note ive sold up all my car stuff cars controllers the lot , time to get airbourne Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Hi,

Just wonder if anyone is planning to fly this weekend (10/7). Kieran, are you going to be there on Saturday?

cheers,
Colin

G'day All,

I'm looking to be down at the field both days depending on how wet it is after all the rain this week.
I wont be there on Saturday till about 1030 - 1100 ish but I believe Darren will be down earlier (also depending on how wet the field is).

Sunday, I should be there from about 0900.

Awaiting Chris's field report if he gets a chance this evening.

Friday Field Report - 10th July
Hi all,
Unfortunately I didn't get away from work in time to get down to the field before dark so I have nothing to report.
As for flying, I will be trying to get there on Sunday morning around 9-00am weather and field conditions permitting.

Hope we can all get some airtime this weekend.

Chris M

Had a change of plans, so I am down at the field now. It's pretty firm considering the rain we've been getting. About to drive down and see if the car damages the field. If you come in and see my
car against the tree line, you should follow suit

Just got back from the field after a good days flying....

As I said, I got down there a bit early, it was still a bit foggy:

So I posted that the field was all good but decided to test how good and casually aimed at the softest part of the field and kept driving till I found myself stuck!!

Whooops!

Luckily Darren showed up and dragged me out of there. And much fun flying was had until sadly:

Poor Mirage Frown

The field is dry and mostly driveable (except for that wet patch!!) however the approach ramp is shot from a few people having a hard time getting back up so tomorrow I'll probably suggest not going down unless you are 100% confident in your muddy slope driving technique.

Rain is forecast over the next few hours so stay tuned to the forum as I'll be down there early tomorrow to check out the field and will post an update.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Looks like I have'nt missed much this week.
Sorry to see the mirage go down.
Looks like a bit of work to put that together again.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

The Mirage picture is a bit misleading, It was a take off incident, basically speared into the soft mud quite deep then split the plane in two at the air intakes and very possibly repairable (Although you would never trust it). These pics are post teardown as the electronics took quite a drink and Darren wanted to get them dry asap. I have a feeling we may see an F-86 roaring around in the coming weeks Wink

The Life of a Mirage.. :ugeek:
Quote:When a butterfly or a moth(Or in our case a Mirage) enters into the point of their life when they wrap themselves into a cocoon,, it is time for them to start undergoing metamorphisis. During this stage in the butterly or moth's(Or Mirages's) life, they do not eat or drink anything. Instead, they are in a type of hibernation that will last for anywhere from a few days to several months. There are some butterflies(Mirages) who go into their cocoon and stay there throughout the entire winter and then it emerges as an adult (Or F-86) in the springtime.

Biggrin

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Friday 17th July Field Report
With the rain over the last couple of days the field has a couple of sizeable patches of surface water.
One being the usual one at the eastern end of the strip and another in the middle of the strip.
The flight line is very soggy under foot and driving the cars in should not be a problem compared to the last few weekends.

With Darren and Kieran not flying this weekend, I assume the field will not be open on Saturday as I don't know of anyone with a key who will be there.
I intend to fly on Sunday at my usual time from 9 till 12'ish depending on the conditions.

Chris M

Hope you guys had a good weekend flying!
I had a GREAT weekend watching jets zooming around the sky, Definitely see one in the distant distant future!
FIrst off, I feel its important to gloat about my current location, ahem! Icon_twisted

With that done, I thought I'd post a few quick teasers, I have 986 more to sort through.. Shock

I guess these are turbine driven?
Look really cool.
I too hope someday to have one(or two) but only ducted fan.
Afraid turbines are too rich for my pension. Smile
Hope you are enjoying the holiday.
cheers
Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

For those interested in ducted fans take a look at what Extreme RC are getting in soon - F14 Tomcat with swing wings and retracts.
Best be quick if you want one. By the way they are not cheap.
http://www.extremerc.com.au/F14.htm

Attached Files
.jpg F14_open2.jpg Size: 24.77 KB  Downloads: 406
.jpg F14_closed2.jpg Size: 27.9 KB  Downloads: 412

i was looking at these yesterday chris(My all time favorite Jetfighter) , and with birthday coming up i might have gone one too but for the fact that i have not learnt too fly yet Lol

anyways ive decided to instead follow dad into the purchase of tucano , which im quite excited about.. Smile
he is going the black and yellow and im going the red and white Icon_twisted
i still want the corsair but ive decided to go with the tucano(toucan) first..

[Image: 155.jpg]

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Love that F14 Tomcat.
Can see myself flying one of those later on when I can
fly properly.
Wonder how the retracts would go down at our field.
Hand Launched version a little bit cheaper but I do like
the idea of retracts.
Wonder if Parramatta Council would let us put a hard runway in.
If we knew someone who could get us some cheap concrete we could do
a working bee down there and do the labour ourselves.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

F14 is also my Hero fighter! After seeing Darren's F86, You would probably want to modify it a bit by using the largest wheels possible and building with a larger nose up attitude. You'd also need to uprate the power system as the problem with EDF's is a lack of low down torque.

It funny you chose the Tucano cos I've had my eye on them as well!

Friday Field Report 24th July
The field is still a little soft but it is an improvement over last weekend. Driving in should not be an issue for anyone.
The strip is starting to dryout and the motorbikes have not ventured onto the it this week so we can start to use it as it was intended.
A couple more weeks like the last and some mowing will see the strip in good shape Biggrin

I intend to fly on Sunday as usual from 9-00am.
See you in the skies.
Chris M

have fun down there 2morrow everyone , im off to canberra for the weekend to drink piss with the father in law for his b'day.. i guess thats next best thing if i cant fly Smile

ill see whoever down there the following weekend.. hoping for more good weather for you guys also , was wanting to see your big balsa model go up chris, last time was shocking runway and you had no chance..
looking forward to hopefully seeing some parts this next coming week also Smile

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Back in Sydney! Will be down tomorrow from 9ish. Have HobbyKing goodies from last group order Biggrin

A big thanks to everyone that helped out with the search for my Stryker on Sunday. I'll be doing a letter drop tomorrow with my details so fingers crossed if I can salvage anything or at least find out what went wrong.
Quite the search area when you look at it this way!

Hi Kieran

Unfortunately i couldn't get down the field today, by the sounds of it was a interesting day.
What happen ? doesn't sound good ?

Regards Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

hmmm..... :?

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Sadly my new Stryker went in today somewhere within that red arc, It was in a spiral dive from ~300ft and for some reason went uncontrollable. The subsequent ground search with everyone yielded no results although we didn't check many backyards. I was hoping at least for some smoke from the inevitable lipo fire but no luck there. I have a feeling that it went into one of the pools as we heard no crash and the few locals we spoke to didn't hear anything either. I'll be printing off some flyers tonight and will carpet bomb the area with my mobile number and a picture of the plane Wink

Not a good day for my Strykers as I flew the other one into the ground at a nasty angle about 10 mins earlier, that one is repairable at least!

Good luck with the search, hopefully its been spotted and picked up by some one in one of the houses that you letter drop.
Sounds like you had a adventure full day.

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

ouch thats bad news mate, i hope you at least recover rx and anything else of value.. also hope you dont get a call with a bill attached for a window or somethin Frown
very curious as to what caused that problem, do you think perhaps it left rx range and did not rebind quick enough to catch signal again b4 impact? its a scary thought really...

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

looking at that search area I reckon we must have been very close to it this afternoon
maybe the owner who's property it crashed in were out and did not hear or see anything.
Hopefully you will have some luck tomorrow

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

~KevJ~ Wrote:ouch thats bad news mate, i hope you at least recover rx and anything else of value.. also hope you dont get a call with a bill attached for a window or somethin Frown
very curious as to what caused that problem, do you think perhaps it left rx range and did not rebind quick enough to catch signal again b4 impact? its a scary thought really...

Impossible to really say till I get a look at it (If it survived!) I have my doubts about exceeding range as I had positive control much further away when I was up high, it MIGHT have been interference beyond the Power lines but I've never experienced that before either in more much more precarious spots. My other theory is that I over stressed the servo mounts and the servo's moved rather than the control surfaces from the dive speed but again, highly unlikely.

The speed that it went in with, I'm not expecting much to have survived. Would I trust the Rx again? The Servo's?
Thread Closed