Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

Gday All

A truly dodgy morning indeed. Looks like a "build" day for sure.
Field has got to be a swamp after the serious rain we had yesterday and overnight.
Also I do not know what you guys are complaining about re the desalination plant, this was an absolutely fantastic knee jerk reaction project that we will be paying for over the next decade or twenty, we should be proud of our top notch planning processes that ensures government coffers can be added to at will due to their brave foray into 21st century utilities. We can also rest assured that the computer networks at the plant are all heavily protected by "RuddNanny" and will only be able to access web pages relating to water. Rumour has it that Macquarie Bank is installing this same software, (in ultra puritan mode), TODAY! If their workers get a bit toey in future they will be encouraged to have a glass of water.

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

I'm going be conflicted in getting to the field for the next few weeks and today was my last chance clear flying day. Since my main fly is a ground launch, and I still haven't covered the nose, I'm going to have to have a "build day" too. Frown.

I've converted the Trainer One to a front prop and geared-up a BOYB Bipe but these are too experimental at this stage to rely on them for a decent fly.

How's Mondays for people? I tend to have Monday's off and flying is always more fun with 1+.

Drew

Code:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Built-up
Balsa:                            Commercial:           Depron:
Great Planes PT-20 (modified)     HK Hawk 80            Index 3
Indoor Thingy                     Skyartec Cessna 182  
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260
and a Fox chuck glider converted to RC

Heh Rob Yes i thought that Macquarie bank was installing new software, Windows 7 Built by Miranda kerr as shown on a current affairs Lol

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Hehehe, nice one Steve, if anything Mac Bank should be proud of the way this guy keeps focussed on the figures and their related vital statistics. After all, that is what finance is all about.

Cheers
Rob B

You poor wet sods, I spent the day getting wet also albeit on the back of a Jetski and in the pool Icon_twisted

kizza42 Wrote:You poor wet sods, I spent the day getting wet also albeit on the back of a Jetski and in the pool Icon_twisted

Icon_twisted Icon_twisted Icon_twisted

I hope You Are having Fun.

Steve Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Arrr Captain Vella, arrrr.

Your Jet ski we be needing for flying today, arrrr.

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Ok Guys theres No Rain and no Wind
Who's going Down, Im going out shortly via the field and of course will have my Funjet at hand for hand launching.
Parking were i normally do for the short walk through.

Its going to be interesting ?

Steve Smile

Gday All

I have the rest of the week off, if anyone is heading down to the field let me know and I will try to drop by to say gday.
Also, I noted a comment stating that Kieran has joined the rotor head ranks, my first thought was "God help us all", second thought was I am curious to see just how large a motor he will shoehorn into the poor thing.

I recently dusted off my Walkera Helicopter and took it for a boot around my back yard, all was going swimmingly as I lurched erratically from fence to fence, if I was sitting in the thing I would have been vomiting uncontrollably and probably needed future fear of flying counselling. I learnt 2 things from this experience, 1- My avocado tree will not slow a helicopter down at all, 2 - My clothes line WILL slow a helicopter down in a truly fundamental way. Clothes line 1, Rotor head 0. My neighbour thought it was pretty cool though!!!! Lol

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Hi Rob,
I have kev's old easy sport here at home.
Thinking of dropping it in to you sometime on Friday if that's ok.
Sorry can't drop it in tomorrow as wife needs the car and she will be late home.
Would someone be home Friday daytime? or should I leave it til evening?

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

Gday Paul

I will be leading a true life of leisure until the 1st March when I begin a new work contract, I can't remember the last time I had a decent amount of leave, pretty sure it was 3.5 years ago when I got married and went on honeymoon. Really looking forward to spending heaps of time with my daughter and mucking around with my "panes" as little Maya calls them. Therefore feel free to drop by whenever it suits you. Whilst we are at it could you let me know the brand/name of the polyurethane you have painted the 16's fuse with? Is that the same as what Steve uses. I am really impressed with the results you two have got with this stuff and want to do the same with the cub seeing as Kieran/ Ingo/ Kev and our other resident power nuts will eventually talk me into stop being such a pussy and put an "unlimited vertical space shuttle" style power system in her. Strength will be an issue at that point and as much as I want to torque strip the wings off her mid flight to give Kev a big giggle this stuff may just help keep it all together. Also will probably cover the ST360 with the same goop for the same reasons. And, chuk up some more photo's of the 16 refurb, she is looking very sweet!!!

Weather report for the weekend does not look too promising for us all to catch up at the field, fingers crossed we will have the mornings to get some flights in. I'll wack up a breifing report tomorrow arvo.

Cheers and thanks
Rob Byrnes

hey dad i forgot to grab the servos out of her when i dropped it there and am keen to get them now for the pc9 .. ill get on to you sometime today..

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

Bring the Rc boats down the field Tommorow with the down pours we have had this evening.
There be something for everyone, mini lakes for the novice to huge rapids for the extreme.

Steve Smile

Ok, I have 2 large group orders to sort, anyone interested in helping tomorrow arvo after 4? Bring verniers!

"probably". The family is out most of the morning/ early arvo and it'll be crappy at the field.
I'll check out the plans for late tomorrow and post back here.

I think you've got my mobile. pls sms me your number to make it easier to just call.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
Katana X lite (in construction)   UM SU-26              12"WS Shoestring (Plantraco)
                                  HK Extra 260

Don'r know if anybody is going down to field this morning, but
I'm not going to bother.
Last nights rain just about finished it for me. Icon_evil

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

Hi Kieran,
I can come over and give you a hand this afternoon no problem.
If you want to make it earlier or later just give me a call otherwise
I'll be there at 4pm.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

I'm in. Where and when?

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Ok, I have a wedding at Pagewood at 2:30. Will call both of you when I'm on the way home

Hi all,
I went down to the flying field this mornining at about 9-15am hoping to get a fly in - I'm getting desperate.
When I arrived I found that we have an issue with vehicular access, not that we can drive onto the field at the moment as it is under water. The 1st gate is blocked with dumped rubbish in the form of a dozen or so large bags of roof insulation and other building materials.

Given the type of material (fibreglass batts) I think we may need to inform the council to have it removed.

On a brighter note I walked down onto the field with my gum boots on to see the parting of the reeds created by the large amount of water that has come down the creek or should I say river.

Guess what I found when I ventured up into reeds?

Colin's plane (Hover One) under a small number of bent over reeds above the current water line, intact in one piece, undercarrage slightly bent, no significant damage to the body. When I got it home and connected a fresh battery the esc sort of worked with the servo's jittering but unfortunately no audio tone to indicate the moter was armed. Colin may be able to salvage something after all.

If the weather holds this arvo I may try again to walk in and have a fly (hand lauched planes only) at about 5-00 or 5-30, but if we get any more rain I won't bother.

I'm going to have to look closer at the plans for floats for the Trainer One and BYOB Bipe. Both of which are hanging in my shed waiting for maidens.

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Im Keen for a Fly let me know if you do decide to go Cris, want to give the Cust Pusher Stryker a Go.
I might be able to make it down.

P.s I did have a look at the wedging of reeds before but must of missed colins plane.
Good Spotting.

Steve Smile

The PRCAC Carbon rod sorting team in action!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Unfortunately got home later than anticipated and it was raining so I'll try again tomorrow to get a fly in.
Seeing that it is raining heavily here at Old Toongabbie right now, so I don't expect there will be too much flying tomorrow but here's hoping.

Wow, after all these months of hiding, it has turned to a RC boat. If the receiver still works, I would be extremely happy and amazed. Can't wait to check it.

I'll disappear for a couple of weeks until the the week in March. See you all when I come back.

Colin

I took my new bipe for show and tell to the rod sorting. Despite the rain, I just couldn't resist stopping at a nearby park and trying it out on the way home. It flew really well (after tweaking fore/aft balancing) and the motor is definately a monster allowing significant verticals!!!

As predicted by Mr Vella who said, "You need another rubber band" - The prop flew off, taking the motor off its mount but it still was able to comfortably glide to a nice safe landing near my feet. A new rubber band and some more double sided sticky and she's ready to go again Smile.

Interestingly (for me anyhow), I build this from corflute previously. The airframe weighed 200g and AUW was around 370-380g. I had pruned some weight by thinning the fuse and between the weight and some over zealous trimming, the controls now wagged and twisted the tail rather than move the control surfaces. Obviously leading to many promising chuck take-offs followed by stunning nosedives (into asphalt!). After the fourth foray into the asphalt, even I could work out something was wrong and the corflute fuse was looking a bit frail.

This one is built with 6mm depron for the fuse and 3mm elsewhere, this 57cm (22.5") WS version weighted 40g before gear and AUw of 243g. I have used 9g servos, a 18A speedy and EMax CF2822 motor. Heavy gear for a little plane. (On a 500mA LiPo, this give me about 90 seconds WOT).

I will probably drop it back to a faster, smaller motor spinning a 5" or 6" prop - or maybe not :P .

I have the patience of a child when I finish a build and the maiden for this plane was actualy over the road out the front of our house (the death of the previous plane - will he learn?). It took off ok, but between the struggle to get balance and control on the maiden and need to turn early to avoid entering the neighbour's yard across the road, I was just thinking "that's really fast!" as I watched gently turn around, fly over my head and plough into the tree on our nature strip. A little more depron on the wings and some sticky tape and she's back in the air again.

I'll bring it to the field if it lasts long enough for everything to dry out. Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Drew

Code:
Built-up
                                  HK Extra 260

Gday All

Just had a wander down to the field to see just how bad it is. However I could not actually reach it due to the huge amount of water flowing through spraycan alley. Can only imagine the inland lake that the field must be.

Cheers
Rob Byrnes

Felt the need for a Fly so I ventured down to the field at midday on the way back from the shops. Still the steady flow of water down the creek but the field didn't look so bad until you walked in and trudged through the swamp. A couple of inches of water over most of the field. It wasn't raining so I had 2 flights with my foam Cessna and belly landed without too much sogginess to the plane. There was no wind so flying was good - just the depressing grey sky and saturated feet! Hoping for bluer skys soon.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Went to the field with John Pellicano this afternoon and found that the field itself is quite good for a fly tomorrow.
There are still a few cans and other objects lying around but the ground is quite compact. Seems to be ok to take the cars in.
A big thank you to whoever was instrumental in getting the rubbish blocking the entrance removed.
See you all tomorrow morning...........hopefully!! Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin Biggrin

Smile

I too ventured down to the field this afternoon. The field is improved but still a bit damp. I'm confident about driving in with my All Wheel Drive (in the morning) but I'd be careful driving in with a standard car. Just planning a short visit (around an hour or so after 10am) - seems like ages since a we've had a decent weekend for flying. I've a least managed a few mid week flights. Hopefully a good day's flying tomorrow - see you then.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e
Thread Closed