Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...

you are right about the disc sander kev , and i also have one at work but you are also right about having one in the garage Wink

hmm i dunno , for 30 bucks i may still buy it.. :?

Jet Teng BAE Hawk 2010 Demo Team
Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
ESM Texan II / 35cc Gasser
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Falcon 120 (Prepping for Kingtech K100 turbine )
Spektrum DX6i

I used a small angle grinder with metal blade to grind back heat sink.
Just remember motor will get hot as it is a heat sink that will absorb heat, so use something to hold it, and
make sure you line up mount holes to mount bracket so you grind back only what you need.

I am looking into buying a mini metal lathe so i can make and mod my bits and pieces, so far can't find one cheap enough.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

The mill I have is this one:
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Produ ... kCode=M150

I believe there is a cheaper one from the same manufacturer but its a bit of a toy. This one is light enough to be put away by one person. I did buy a good quality machine vice which is usually left on the x-y table.

The quality on this is resonable and it will still be working after I'm not, guess it depends how you value the cost, buy in cost or cost over lifetime of item.

Servo

that looks like a serious piece of equipment there kev Shock

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Yes a great looking mill you have Kev

A Quick Note this has just come back in stock http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...duct=9383#
I'm Running a Scorpion and love it, but i was looking at this a long while ago, doesn't look to bad,does weigh a bit more though.

Steve

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

Will be flying tommorow early 7-30 am, This morning was great till about 9am then started to turn bad but had a great flight time and good to see a couple fellow members down as well.

Tommorow hopefully will be good if not will start up EXTREME RC FLYING Down at field.
A new adrenaline sport, will need to mod planes a little to accomadate though.

Some Pic teasers of what its about.
ARE YOU UP FOR THE CHALLENGE

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Eatly risers
Packing planes as i type and heading down early while weather is good. Biggrin
Steve

damn it , just woke up and realised i forgot to charge batteries! im such an idiot! :x

coming down after i charge two to get a start at least.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Woo Hoo!! Finally maidened my Lark Glider. Once Darren had cleared airspace over the field, I gave the Lark a good chuck with Darren at the controls and some throttle to gracefully climb into the wide blue. A little trim of elevator & aileron and Darren was happy with it's flight characteristics - then a gentle landing and I'm happy it flew well and survived it's first flight.
Got a bit windy after that so it didn't fly again today and I'm yet to fly it myself but I'm just happy it's airworthy. Steve buddied me on his Island Hopper, so (Thanks Steve) I got to have a fly. Hopefully down again in the morning and might get the Lark into the air again.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Hi Guys looks like i may be down early tomorrow but got to leave by 9am
So early risers if weathers good i will post in morning ye or ne like i did for my early flight this morning.
Steve Biggrin

Hi Early Risers im packing and heading down shortly for some still weather flying as it looks great this morning. Smile

Steve

Hi All
Will be down from 8am with my less noisy planes to start off flying and hopefully we have a little less wind.

Steve Smile

See you down there Steve.
kev and I will be there about 9am.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Scratchbuilt F14 Tomcat(Pukin Dogs)
Vector X
Eflite F86 Sabre(Taz Tiger)
Qantas Airbus A380(Nancy-Bird Walton)
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
VQ Models P61 Night Fighter
CY Models FW190

I'll be down around 8 or so as well. Also hoping for little or no wind.

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,

Hi guys,
Not everyone's best of days today.
I'll be down in the morning around 9am
Gunfighter all ready for action again. Smile
Pilot has been ordered to look for better
targets and not to attack anymore windsocks. Smile
Hope we have another great day weather wise and less crashes.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

paulj Wrote:... Gunfighter all ready for action again. Smile

I'm impressed Paul, you've got your ground-crew well trained then!
Yes, see you tomorrow Smile
S

Steve Murray

great work on getting her fixed dad, did you take the oportunity to fit my old t28 esc and prop?

have a good day today guys, once again i planted my white arse in the sun all day and forgot sunscreen and i have full blown flu and sunstroke.. been up all night sux to be me right now..

anyway have fun all hope to be down there next saturday.

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Gday Paul

I must have missed your altercation with the windsock. I always considered "Socky" to be a quiet and benign type of character however if he has been giving you stick I am more than happy to do the "Bikies at the Airport" thing and beat the crap out of him until he toes the correct line and merely hangs around as he should.

Hope any damage to your aircraft is easily repairable.

Cheers
Rob B

I'm a happy chappie............ Biggrin
Gunfighter flew as if the pilot was really sorry for yesterday's stuff up
and he claimed a couple of kills although these have yet to be verified. Wink
General consensus at the field was that it looked as good as her maiden flight.
It certainly felt great.
Not so the Electrafun however, I think she has seen better days and I shall
put her back into the retirement home this time for good.
Will now concentrate on bringing the Cessna back on-line then maybe even
squeeze in the Corsair. (Now that I've seen that it can fly)
Aiming for next Thursday afternoon around 4:30 if anyone is interested.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

~KevJ~ Wrote:have a good day today guys, once again i planted my white arse in the sun all day and forgot sunscreen and i have full blown flu and sunstroke.. been up all night sux to be me right now..
Sorry to hear it Kev - I'd prescribe a large single-malt on ice, and repeat as necessary!
Get better soon,
Steve

Steve Murray

paulj Wrote:General consensus at the field was that it looked as good as her maiden flight.
No doubt about it mate - in fact it was a unanimous view. I don't know whether you had to do much by way of re-trimming, but from the ground it was smooth, slick and every bit as good as it ever was.

Steve Murray

Its good to hear Paul the gunfighter is up in the air again and flying nicely.
Great job putting it together so quick and in great flying condition again .
As it was quite impressive when it was flying on saturday with a lot of speed too.

Steve Smile

Gday Paul

That was indeed a damn good repair job, nice one!!!!
If you hadn't told me you trashed it the day before I would not have known there had been any damage at all.

Cheers
Rob B

Thanks Guys,
But I must admit to being very lucky that all the breaks
were nice clean ones and no motor damage.
I have now cut a bigger space for the battery compartment
which will allow me to use my 2200mah LiPo's and also changed
over the esc to a 30amp one from Kev's T28.
The stock esc is only 18 amps, I've also changed the prop over to the original T28
stock 9.5 x 7.5. (Stock 9 x 6)
These mods were published on the "Gunfighter" build thread over on RCGroups website.
Apart from these small additions I think I'll leave the plane alone as it's flying so nice
and I don't want to spoil the enjoyment.

Paul

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

paulj Wrote:I have now cut a bigger space for the battery compartment
which will allow me to use my 2200mah LiPo's and also changed
over the esc to a 30amp one from Kev's T28.
The stock esc is only 18 amps, I've also changed the prop over to the original T28
stock 9.5 x 7.5. (Stock 9 x 6)
Paul

im excited to see it fly again now.. more aerodynamic, faster prop , less weight, bigger battery, should get up some good speed now.. i would say blow away a stock t28.
and since you have already smashed her now your son might take you up on a previous offer and get a fly .. lol

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Well I've just had Kev come over with his wattsup
meter and run some tests.
Here's what we have found.

All using 2200mah 20c battery
Stock 9 x 6 prop = 205 watts @ 17.5amps
T28 Prop 9.5 x 7.5 = 220 watts @ 18.64amps
APC 11 x 7 prop 257 watts @ 21.88amps

Certainly a bit more power using the T28 prop but even more
using an APC prop. Smile
The plane only weights about 800grms without battery.

Jet Teng L39(Breitling)
Vector X
Boeing 737-800
ProEDF F16
Falcon 120(Gas Turbine)
Fly Fly F100 Super Sabre
Pheonix Tiger 6
CY Models FW190

On the subject of motor power...
I don't have a wattmeter but I do have a Current Clamp meter - so I ran some tests myself.
My Lark Glider has a Turnigy SK35-36 910KV motor with a 12X6 prop & pulls 26A at Full throttle.
Some quick calculations... 11Volts X 26Amps = 286Watts. Good enough for a 1.5Kg trainer and reasonable battery life.
The other Plane I'm currently converting from Nitro .25 to Brushless on the other hand pulled a few more amps than I expected!
It has a similar motor - SK35-36 1400KV. I went with the faster motor as this plane can only fit a 9 inch prop due
to ground clearance issues (Tricycle gear). I first ran full throttle with a 9X7.5 prop to find it pulling
50 amps from my 2.2 battery & 40A ESC.. oops! Quickly changed to a 9X6 prop and found the amps drop to a more sensible
40 amps (440Watts). I think that should be adequate this other High Wing Trainer with similar dimensions to my Glider.
I think this one may be quick - I'll ask Darren to test fly this one as well (should be ready in a week or 2) and see what he thinks.

John Jelovic

Sounds promising John - does the documentation that came with the plane suggest an all-up-weight?
With 440W you've probably got power there for a trainer at about 2.0 to 2.25 kg or thereabouts.
Cheers,
SteveM

Steve Murray

Steve, I built this Trainer in around 1983 so I don't have the original box or plans - normally I would keep the plans at least but it was a long time ago with several house moves in there as well. I did weigh it when it had a .25 Nitro motor and I think it weighed around 1.5Kg - I'll weigh it again when I finish the changeover to electric. I was worried that the C of G might be difficult to achieve with the new gear as the Nitro motor by itself was 350g compared to the lighter brushless motor but when you add in the ESC & battery, it seems to be OK and I think it'll be a bit lighter as no receiver battery is required. The brushless is quoted as being equivalent to .30 to .40 so I think it'll be overpowered but I guess too much is preferable to not enough.

John Jelovic

johnjelovic Wrote:so I think it'll be overpowered but I guess too much is preferable to not enough.

muhuhuhwahwahwahwah..

thats where i live! Icon_twisted

Sapac Blue Arrows Hawk
PRO-EDF Composite F16
HK 450 Heli
Seagull PC-9
Parkzone Habu
Spektrum DX6i

Thread Closed