Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.73 Average

Archive: Flying this Weekend...
Music 

Spot the plane...
Marco flying a bit too close to the wires. Hit one cable, bounced onto a second, then perched on the bottom twin cables by its wings. A few seconds after this photo, a gust of wind blew it free. A write off but at least the electronics and bits are salvaged.
P.S. Top day for flying, after a cold morning, sunny and barely any wind.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Welcome to the Power lines Club Marco Smile

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

Has been showering for a few hours on an already saturated field. I will take an early morning trip to the field for a condition report. Watch this space a bit after 7am.

A bit foggy & 5 deg at moment at the field. Yesterdays rain has pooled the far side of the strip & narrowed it opposite pilot box. Driving in should be ok but again avoiding the edge beside trees. I will be there 9.00ish & suggest arriving no earlier to let fog clear a bit.

Sky has now cleared up and it looks great. Wear boots though, as it is still a bit squishy under foot near the trees and pilot box.

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

From my vantage point in Wentie, fog has cleared, clear skies & weather tree stationary. Packing car now to head down to the field.

Field setup and good to go. Where is everyone?

FrSky Q X7 Mode 2, Turnigy 9XR Pro and Evolution. Multirotors, planes plus a couple of heli's. Too many to list.

Aaaaand if the wife is reading this: "The club made me buy these planes, I had no part in it, honestly!"

Couldn't make it this morning and big winds and frezzey cold tomorrow!

John Jelovic
Planks: Lark, California 28, Skyartec Cessna 182, Skyfun, Extra-300S EPP 3D, Stinger 64 EDF, Rare Bear 1400mm,
Durafly P51 Mustang, Edge 540T 3D.
Helis: Blade mCPX, Blade 450X, HK450GT V2Belt, Gaui 550 Hurricane.
Spektrum DX9, DX7se & DX4e

Definitely walk in only this weekend guys (no exceptions). Surface water on all of the field. Is only 4 deg at the moment & not going to get much warmer. I am going home to stay warm. All you diehards, bring your wellies & belly landers and be careful, is slippery to walk on at the bottom of the ramp.
cheers guys

(18-07-2015, 08:19 AM)Flying fisho Wrote:  Definitely walk in only this weekend guys (no exceptions). Surface water on all of the field. Is only 4 deg at the moment & not going to get much warmer. I am going home to stay warm. All you diehards, bring your wellies & belly landers and be careful, is slippery to walk on at the bottom of the ramp.
cheers guys

I've got to admire your perseverance champ!

Steve Murray

Thanx Smuzz, but I don't see it as any big deal. I am an early riser, didn't need an alarm to get there that early & see my efforts as a service to those who may travel some distance needlessly.

As per field condition post, this weekend will be restricted to walk in only. Unless posted otherwise, I will be at the field 8.30ish to hand out MAAA membership cards.

Many thanks to Andy Baker for donating & installing this sign, much appreciated.
During wet periods, this sign will be used when walk-in only is applicable and should negate the "did not read the forum" excuse.
It will be in place tomorrow morning even though the field had dried out somewhat in todays wind & sunshine. Unfortunately the vehicle access areas are constantly in the shade during winter months & are remaining too soggy to drive on without damaging the field.
I will be there again tomorrow about 8.30 with the MAAA cards for collection.

Hi Wayne,

Are we permitted to drive in tomorrow ? (Saturday 1st Aug)

It's been dry all week..... (i think...)

thanks,
James.

"She'll be right, I'll fix it in the air....."

You'll get a surprise when you get to the field tomorrow.
The road going in has been graded and dressed. It looks really good!!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yeeeeeehaaaaaaaa, took a look at the field this afternoon and the news is both excellent & reasonable. I am guessing PCC have contributed to the maintenance of our entry access by grading/levelling/roadbasing it to form a reasonably level drive in WITHOUT ANY RUTS.

The sign denying vehicle entry has been turned around and vehicle entry will be ok.
That is the good news. Not so good news, please keep away from the edge near the trees as it is still a bit soft for driving on.
The strip is still a bit soft in places & mowing has been limited by water. But on the bright side, should be a flyable strip & ready for a good weekend.
Cheers guys & happy landings

Fantastic news! Was not looking forward to walking back and forth all morning. Great job committee!

Yes, thanks guys.

<hr>
71_71 So my question is... Where the hell does all the money go??? 71_71

The thanks should go to our illustrious Secretary Kevin B and his negotiations with PCC. A special thanks also to PCC for so readily agreeing to the task & fulfilling their promise so promptly.

Todays forecast is for early light winds then increasing from 18kph at 11am to 28kph at midday then 37kph by 2.00pm.
My golf day has been cancelled so I will be at he field by 8.30 to enjoy the early light winds.
Another reminder that the ground is still quite soft beside the logs at the field so when departing, be gentle on the accelerators to avoid leaving ruts.

I hope to be at the field tomorrow but will be a little later than normal. I have had sore throat since yesterday arvo so will avoid the cooler part of the day if I turn up at all. Light winds forecast for the entire coolish day with next to no chance of rain.
Don't forget the combination has been changed for entry. Refer to the club members only section for the new code & security protocols.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but the flying news is not good. Tomorrow there is no rain forecast until late afternoon/evening however 20-30kph winds forecast from mid morning.
Sunday however is a different story with 90% chance of 25-50mm rain which has already caused some sporting events to be cancelled. Sunday is also our scheduled AGM which has already been relocated to Toongabbie Sports Club at 11am.
For those intending to brave the winds tomorrow, please be aware that the second gate is now locked with the combination being the same as the other locks.
I am going to try & be there 8.00am ish for a quick fly before the winds arrive & also to advise those without forum access of the AGM venue change.

Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn & Willyweather's rain radar. I will be heading down to the field early to turn our sign precluding vehicle access & also add a sign to the front gate notifying of our AGM change of venue for those without forum access.

Have been to the field for a looksee & have completed the previously mentioned tasks. No pooling of the strip at this stage but my walk in was under an umbrella. Our normal parking area had some pooling because it was already saturated without sunshine & drainage. Walk in only recommended. Not a comfortable day for flying anyway, so see you all at Toonie Sports for our AGM at 11.00.

I just went back to the field after the AGM for a few sneaky flights. In less than 2 hours, runoff has started to engulf the strip. Landings will be a bit tough.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I must have just missed you by the time I'd got there the field was deserted and yes there was water covering the usual low patches except for the one that we recently filled there were a couple of bits of mud were just sticking out of the water

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

After Monday's deluge of 38mm rain in my gauge I had expected the worst at our field. Jason & I attended the field today & he again has had to repair the front gate. Whilst there we inspected the field & have deemed the field to be solid enough to drive in. There is pooling in the usual spots but the strip is solid enough to land with wheeled planes.
I have a medical appointment which will preclude me from opening tomorrow. I you intend opening tomorrow, please post your intention so the non combination holders don't have to wait at the front gate.
Cheers guys, maybe see you later in the morning, maybe.

A bit windier tomorrow but still gentle & under 15km & no rain. I will open about 8.30ish unless beaten to it by our early birds.

See you there Wayne

Lipos are queuing up for the charger here !!

Had a look at the field this afternoon & is looking good for a fly tomorrow pending any overnight rain of which there is a low percentage chance. Even though TV weather report stated 20mm rain fell, only 1-2mm lays in my rain gauge. Wind for tomorrow is forecast for less than 10kph until 1.00pm.
I will be opening about 8.30ish as usual.
Thread Closed