Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TAFT VIPER SUPERSNAKE 90MM EDF.

Just purchased this plane and paid $680AUD inc some spares .for it delivered from china . have the RECIEPT FOR IT , BUT ON THE RECEIPT , there is no item description. there website says i have no purchase history , and the items are still in the shopping cart as unpaid .
i'm kind of spewing at the moment as i bought from them and went through the checkout procedure . it took my money and printed out a confirmation receipt , with no items in it , and didnt confirm the sale on the website .
the company is RC CASTLE . ( IN CHINA) anyone dealt with them before ?
here is the plane by the way . i did use paypal , with the pay after delivery option ( 21 days) so i guess i've safe guarded myself a little .
during the checkout process red writing appeared saying , please press the send back to merchant button , so we can process the order , i tried to look for this button , but it wasnt there , perhaps this is what has happened i emialed them and at this point havent had a reply but it isnt even 9am ther yet .

IF I DO GET THE PLANE , SHE WILL BE A BEAUTY . ITS THE LATEST VERSION 8S BATTERIES ARE 50 BUCKS EACH AT THE MOMENT ON SPECIAL SO THATS OVER $800 IN THE AIR FOR A PHAOMY WITH RX FITTED .
my misses rang me within 5 minutes of the purchase to say good morning and wish me a nice day , she sounded a little flat on the phone . paypal purchases go direct to her email straight to her phone . must be just a coincidence that she rang straight away .( OWNED)Lol

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .

they contacted me via e'mail and said that i must'nt have checked out properly , therefore they received payment, without an order . they asked me to copy and past the cart page to them as an attachment in an e'mail . which didnt work , cause the log in details dont transfer.
then i took photos of the page with my phone and sent the pics of the cart page via e'mail along with a pic of the paypal transfer receipt . finally we got it sorted and i received an e'mail saying they will ship the gear today via EMS , which is what i paid for $106USD .
SO i must say they went to some effort pretty much as soon as business opened to solve the matter . if they are posting it today . HOW GOOD IS THAT ? i imagine if it was 10kms from my place i probably wouldnt even get a phone call or e'mail reply and have to drive down and see them for any response . thats probably how bad australia has become , you get better service from china via e'mail on the day . and here you cant even ring legal aid and get a reply .

now to order some batteries via HK , I EXPECT IN 1/2 HOUR OR SO MY WIFE WILL BE RINGING ME TO WISH ME A GREAT AFTERNOON Paranoid

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

You should change the way paypal emails you.
I think you may be making life unnecessarily difficult for your self there Mate.

Worlds best practice might be to get a visa debit card and top it up a little bit at a time in advance then link a new Paypal account to that using a new Gmail address to send the correspondence to.
You might also consider using incognito mode in your web browser for searching for such items and accessing your gmail. This avoids you filling up memory with the useless details of all the sites you've searched. Wink

I'm sure your missus wouldn't want to burden you with all the details of the purchases she makes. I know mine never does.

Very nice looking plane tho Smile

will be keen to see it fly !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

yeah i think i should do that .
there are some very nice equivelant edf's out now . it was a choice between the HK COBRA 90MM EDF 8S . the habu's big brother. so on flight charactoristics i ruled that one out .
the new stinger 90 edf 6s . it was a close call !!! there .
the f9f HK 90 couger 6s . nice plane but the dearest about $800+ there ( built up wing also ) not foam . ( may have been a wiser buy)
then there was the 70mm HK panther , which i just adore , but that was close to $600 + batteries .

that left the 6S TAFT 90 M EDF VIPER / OR THE 8S VERSION . thew 6s some people have commented on hard to take off from grass , so the 8s choice is obvious , about 400grams more thrust

HERE IS AVID OF A 6S VIPER
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2rN82R5C6M

the plane arrived at 8am this morning(monday) from china . thats not bad considering it was ordered at lunchtime friday .

OK . nice air frame , and very sturdy wings , foam hinges !!! . nice retracts , and easy to put together .
NOW i strongly recommend , ( it is totally wrong to refer to these as pnp ) mine came with balled clevises pushed into the servo horn with ( no nuts ! ) thats a NO NO !!! . as it got dark during the build , i was taxiing around the street and one of the wheels fell off at the strut , due to the strut screw coming out .
It came in a 6s box , with a 6s manual , no way to tell it's 8s , as the motor had no markings on it , and both the 6s and 80s version come with a 80 amp esc , i had to contact the supplier and the esc and bec are both different on the 8s, the 6s version will not count 8 cells so thats how you tell .
instructions are pathetic , and the way it is put together needs a thorough checking . you will find l;oose servo horns , wheels retracts, and control horns . my sequencing was well set up at factory on the retracts , no servo load when up or down , and these electronic radios are a breeze to setup . i'm using 7 channels as i fitted an aftermarket LED after burner , with light system. i think this is unreal on the viper supersnake . A LITTLE CUSTOM WORK . IMPROVEMENTS OVER FACTORY BUILD ARE A MUST , AND DOUBLE CHECKING ALL FITMENT IS A MUST ON THESE PLANES . FLYING THIS OUT OF THE BOX COULD BE A POTENTIAL CATASTROPHY, AND REALLY I'M AT A LOSS TO EXPLAIN HOW SUCH A WEAPON CAN BE ALLOWED INTO THE COUNTRY UNREGULATED !!!
IT WILL BE A BEAUTY , WHEN I SET IT UP FLIGHT READY OVER THE NEXT DAY OR 2 .
HERES SOME PICS .

Looks very nice Frank Smile

What Do You Mean Theres a Throttle Curve ?, Its Either all the way up or all the way down Tongue_smile

bit more wiring today , few more LED,S and she is almost flight ready

Classic !!
The Viper jet is a good one for EDF it's got some wing area and a nice planform, it should handle well in the air and not be difficult to land.

Lookin' good !!

“The knack of flying is learning how to throw your machine at the ground and miss.”

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your thoughts turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."  ~Leonardo Da Vinci

Yep i searched hi and low before i made my choice , and i couldn't go past the taft viper in this budget .. compared to the stinger 90 and the cobra 90 . the stinger ran a close 2nd . but the flight characteristics of the viper outshone both. The Viper is a better glider !!!! , the only thing that had me reserved buying it earlier is the 2900 grams of thrust out of the 6s version , but when they released the 8s with 3500grams of thrust . that should be more than a 1;1 ratio , and i was sold .
Shortly after buying , i came across the F9F COUGAR FROM HK . built up wing and composite body PNP, i think i would've bought this over all , but the price is about $200 more . which is close to the $1k mark in the air . a little too steep.

DID A BIT MORE WORK ON THE VIPER TODAY . Ordered a 3s 350 mah battery for the LED Afterburner , and covered all the control surface foam hinges with wing hinged tape , got the new batteries and fitted for CG . Yet to weigh it , but its not too light with 1kg of batteries ..
getting very close to the magical flight ready stage now . its advertised as PNP . I HAVE SPENT 12HOURS ON THIS BUILD .INC CUSTOMISATION. ( JUST HOPE IT FITS IN THE CAR)

OK GUYS !!!! QUESTION TIME .
THE VIPER , upon testing with the new batteries fully charged pulled 85 amps , settling to 80 amps constant after about 10 seconds of running . the batteries allowed 80 amp constant at around 2450 watts . 32v . i ran it constant for about 30 seconds , a couple of times and had a run of about 2 mins total leeting it cool idle etc . all was good , however the ESC WAS TOO HOT TO TOUCH !!!
IT IS AN 80 AMP 2-8S ESC WITH 5.5V 7.5 AMP UBEC .
THE ESC IS BLACK COVERED WITH NO LABELLING AT ALL .
I REPOSITIONED THE ESC INFRONT OF THE FAN FOR MAX AIR FLOW AND TESTING SHOWED THE WHOLE PLANE IS RECEIVING EXCELLENT AIRFLOW .
I'M A LITTLE CONCERNED .
ANY IDEAS ?
NOT SURE IF I SHOULD CUT AWAY THE SHRINK WRAP ON IT . ( IT MUST BE THERE FOR A REASON)
BESIDES I DID THIS ONCE TO A 30AMP SPEEDY AND IT SHORTED OUT WHEN I PUGGED THE BATTERY IN AND CAUGHT FIRE !!

ARE THESE DESIGNED TO RUN HOT AND AN 80 AMP ACTUALLY RUN 80 AMP CONSTANT ?

(26-03-2014, 06:58 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  NOT SURE IF I SHOULD CUT AWAY THE SHRINK WRAP ON IT . ( IT MUST BE THERE FOR A REASON)

You can probably get away with cutting away a bit of it (I cut a square out on my RareBear ESCs).... however, keep in mind that in many instances the shrink holds the heatsink against the FETs, so cutting it away may lessen the thermal conductivity between the heatsink and FETs.

(26-03-2014, 06:58 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  ARE THESE DESIGNED TO RUN HOT AND AN 80 AMP ACTUALLY RUN 80 AMP CONSTANT ?

General rule of thumb for high reliability is to run at 80% continuous - by that rule, you'd want to limit a 80A ESC to 64A continuous, a 100A ESC to 80A continuous etc. That said, your fan is probably going to upload a bit once it is up in the air, but 80A continuous in a static test is pushing the limit imho.

But who knows how this ESC is actually rated. Perhaps hit up RC groups and other forums, and see what sort of luck and temperatures other owners are seeing with the stock gear?

Are you running a separate BEC? If you've got any doubts about the ESC, this would at least buy some peace of mind (and probably not a bad idea regardless on a plane like this).

It looks awesome by the way, 'tipper! Can't wait to see it in the air.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

Hi Frank
I'm sooooo jealous.... I love jets and this one has had my attention since it was release... (current financilas don't allow for any more planes)

As per Claudio's advise, check RC groups and see how the ESC did with other people. If the Bec is stand alone don't worry, If it doesn't have a separate bec, I recomend you install one (It's your best insurance)

Let us know when and where is the maiden.

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

Biggrincouple more pics . its a little busy in here battery area . with 900grams of battery . it comes in 100 grams heavier than a 6s 5000mah 40 battery that the 6s is recommended , therefore i had to stagger the battery , in order to get C of G . i havent fitted an external bec . but i just may anyhow as is it has 3300 grams of weight , 3500 grams thrust . on a run today where i spiked full throttle 10 sec intervels the esc didnt get warm . it now has the required 100mm C-G . SOME PEOPLE ARE FLYING WITH 110MM C OF G . for me to do that id have to add weight in the tail . glad i didnt get 5000mah batteries , infact on rc hobbies 427 pages mine is the only one flying under 5000mah 40+c . mine is light . most are over 3500 grams , mine is 3300 , some are heading over 4kg Biggrin

Sad 

OHHH MY !!! R.I.P VIPER .
day started off real well , maiden flight take off all went well , C of G as per manufacturers recommendation , i used 2 4000mah batteries . which is rather leanient as people are using 5000mah batteries at 60c .
i struggled to get C of G , with mine with batteries all the way back , anyhow it took off at a low angle after about 50 metres runoff anf increased speed , 1/2 flaps take off , wheels went up flaps up and it needed a few clicks of right aileron , i noticed i was holding elevator stick down to keep nose up , it needed a fair bit of trim to level out the ELEVATOR , and 1/2 throttle + to stay in the air , the JET SOUND WAS INCREDIBLE AND SO WAS THE AFTERBURNER SETUP , it flew like it was on rails but needed spool up time and near full throttle on turns . i think it had maybe 1:1 thrust /weight ratio , it felt heavy and needed to be flown at speed , it had washoff speed on turns , it really felt and looked like a heavy jet , flew on rails . had a 1/4 throttle perfect landing with flaps 1/2 down . had lots of great comments, by pemec members . my opinion was it was a little nose heavy , but flew really well , as long as you allowed spool time . i set the flight time at 2 min 40 sec , it touched down at 3 min , and cell count showed 3.71v per cell . so only a safe 2min 30 sec flight time .
2nd flight , time to take it up high , try a roll , i gave it a longer take off for more speed , but it stopped speeding up on the ground and needed FEW SECONDS AFTER I PULLED BACK THE ELEVATOR , it took off same as last time but bounced a little at hi ground speed 1st , which caused the front retract door not to close , this was cause for concern . did a few passes and found due to its weight it didnt really wash off any speed flying straight and level , but did on banking turns so needed power to maintain speed , really looked and sounded the part , but was scary as its power wasnt instant and it was pretty fast and needed to stay that way . took it up really high ( well i thought it was ) and rolled inverted and started seeing the nose drop , so pushed the elevator stick full down , and noticed it wasnt going to fly level at all and it was losing height quickly , in immenent crash situation , i had no choice but to roll and try and pull up . of course it didnt pan out that way , and ended up in about 6 pieces . very dissapointing .
IT WAS TOO NOSE HEAVY , which caused pilot error , i should of trusted my instinct and added tail weight after the 1st flight , . i should of checked the elevon trim position after the 1st flight .
it was a real shame , $525 us + 106 us delivered , + $120 batteries , + $180au rx . = $980 in the air . there is some salvagable parts . like esc and edf seemes uneffected . receiver survived , servos and some retract parts ok .
HOLY COW !!!!! I CANT AFFORD ANOTHER . AND THATS WHAT CUTS , I' MAY HAVE TO LET THIS VIPER GO DOWN AS DEFEATED AND DONE WITH. I ISH A HAD A FEW OF EM ON THE BENCH . BUT EVEN THE FRAME IS COSTLY FROM TAFT .

BUGGER !!
Sorry to hear about the loss of the new machine Frank.

I've got a glass fused ARF Viper sitting there at home you can put those retracts in it and the fan will probably fit. It will be quite some time, perhaps years before I get around to putting it together so you might as well grab it and throw the gear in it.

wow . thanks for the offer. stumped !

Gee, sorry to hear that wingtipper... Heartbreaking.

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr>
<td>
<span title="No longer arboreally challenged!">Parkzone Stinson SR-10 </span>
Extra-300S EPP
<del>F-18 Blue Angels 64mm EDF</del>
<span title="Why won't it die?!">HK Mini Cessna EPO</span>
Spektrum DX6i - Mode 1</td>
<td valign=top>
Parkzone T-28 Ultra Micro
E-Flite UMX BEAST
SRL Index
CloudsFly / AXN Floater
"2x6" basla/ply kit built glider
SBach 1000mm</td>
<td valign=top>
Skyartec Cessna 182 (small UAV)
UAV-168 (bigger UAV)
<span title="2nd-hand; rebuild on-hold">"BigBoy" Hugin (biggest UAV)</span>
<span title="For invading small countries">X-8 flying wing</span></td>
</tr></table>

i've been flying again now for 3 years , and you never stop learning . especially learning about how your money can be burnt quicker than a match with RC . If anything thought the plane was always in the right place if it crashed . i might start a thread called flying maiden flights. because i think every maiden flight , puts a pilot back in a beginners situation , and there is a lot that we pilots dont do , that we should on a maiden flight .

ok GUYS !!!!! accident investigation scrutineering of my 8s Viper SS GOING DOWN .
NOW I NOTED IN PREVIOUS POSTS THAT IT WAS PULLING CLOSE TO 80 AMPS.
I also noticed that not many people other than myself have used the stock speedie in THIS 8S PNF .
SCUTINEERING MY PLANE , WHICH WENT DOWN IN A NOSE HEAVY FASHION INVERTED . , BY ALL ACCOUNTS IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ( THAT NOSE ) HEAVY .

This is after a crash , so it is not conclusive evidence . but the UBEC IS BURNT OUT !!!
I HAVE TESTED THE EDF AND RX WITH ANOTHER SPEEDIEE , ALL THESE PARTS WERENT PHYSICALLY DAMAGED IN THE CRASH AND WORK FINE , HOWEVER THE ESC AND UBEC HAVE BURNT OUT .
THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED AFTER THE CRASH !!!! IT DID NOT APPEAR TO HAVE LOST SIGNAL ON ITS WAY DOWN . HOWEVER . THERE IS EVIDENCE TO SUGGEST SOMETHING WENT WRONG BESIDES C OF G !!!!
CHECK THE PIC .

IS ANYONE ELSE RUNNING COMPLETE STOCK SETUP ON THE 8S VIPER ?

NOW BEING AN 8S . IF ONE IS TO NOT USE THE STOCK SETUP . THEN TO GET A HV 80 AMP + SPEEDIE SAY 100AMP 5-12 S , YOUR LOOKING AT $100 EXTRA DOLLARS + IN ANYONES LANGUAGE TO SAFELY FLY THE TAFT VIPER . + A SEPERATE BEC !!!!!

MY advice could be skewed since I lost my plane . however I would buy the plane without fan and ESC . THEN I WOULD ADD THE TAFT EDF AS A SEPERATE BUY , AND FIT YOUR OWN ESC BEC 100AMP + THAT IS MY GUT FEEL . MOST HERE ARENT RUNNING THE ESC INCLUDED IN THE PNF VERSION . I WOULD ALSO DO THIS WITH THE 6S VERSION , AS RUNNING NEAR THE MAX CURRENT IS SOMETHING US ELECTRIC FLYERS DONT DO IN THE REAL WORLD .
THE PLANE IS A BEAUTY AND I WILL MISS IT DEARLY . I MAY BUY ANOTHER . THE BUILD QUALITY IS EXCELLENT FROM FACTORY BUT NEEDS A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT FOR LONGEVITY . IN HINGES . THE MOTOR FAN ARE BRILLIENT . THE RETRACTS ARE GOOD , BUT THE ESC IS A LET DOWN

(04-04-2014, 01:39 PM)wingtipper Wrote:  ok GUYS !!!!! accident investigation scrutineering of my 8s Viper SS GOING DOWN .
NOW I NOTED IN PREVIOUS POSTS THAT IT WAS PULLING CLOSE TO 80 AMPS.
I also noticed that not many people other than myself have used the stock speedie in THIS 8S PNF .
SCUTINEERING MY PLANE , WHICH WENT DOWN IN A NOSE HEAVY FASHION INVERTED . , BY ALL ACCOUNTS IT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ( THAT NOSE ) HEAVY .

This is after a crash , so it is not conclusive evidence . but the UBEC IS BURNT OUT !!!
I HAVE TESTED THE EDF AND RX WITH ANOTHER SPEEDIEE , ALL THESE PARTS WERENT PHYSICALLY DAMAGED IN THE CRASH AND WORK FINE , HOWEVER THE ESC AND UBEC HAVE BURNT OUT .
THIS MAY HAVE HAPPENED AFTER THE CRASH !!!! IT DID NOT APPEAR TO HAVE LOST SIGNAL ON ITS WAY DOWN . HOWEVER . THERE IS EVIDENCE TO SUGGEST SOMETHING WENT WRONG BESIDES C OF G !!!!
CHECK THE PIC .

IS ANYONE ELSE RUNNING COMPLETE STOCK SETUP ON THE 8S VIPER ?

NOW BEING AN 8S . IF ONE IS TO NOT USE THE STOCK SETUP . THEN TO GET A HV 80 AMP + SPEEDIE SAY 100AMP 5-12 S , YOUR LOOKING AT $100 EXTRA DOLLARS + IN ANYONES LANGUAGE TO SAFELY FLY THE TAFT VIPER . + A SEPERATE BEC !!!!!

MY advice could be skewed since I lost my plane . however I would buy the plane without fan and ESC . THEN I WOULD ADD THE TAFT EDF AS A SEPERATE BUY , AND FIT YOUR OWN ESC BEC 100AMP + THAT IS MY GUT FEEL . MOST HERE ARENT RUNNING THE ESC INCLUDED IN THE PNF VERSION . I WOULD ALSO DO THIS WITH THE 6S VERSION , AS RUNNING NEAR THE MAX CURRENT IS SOMETHING US ELECTRIC FLYERS DONT DO IN THE REAL WORLD .
THE PLANE IS A BEAUTY AND I WILL MISS IT DEARLY . I MAY BUY ANOTHER . THE BUILD QUALITY IS EXCELLENT FROM FACTORY BUT NEEDS A LITTLE IMPROVEMENT FOR LONGEVITY . IN HINGES . THE MOTOR FAN ARE BRILLIENT . THE RETRACTS ARE GOOD , BUT THE ESC IS A LET DOWN

My understanding from reading the RC CASTLE site is that the Viper that comes in this color is only a 6s aircraft.
The V4 model (yellow only) is 6 or 8 cell and comes with a 120 amp ESC.  Hence the burnt out ESC.