Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

DH-88 Comet

I was picking some things up from HobbyKing at Moruya while on holidays and they had this model reduced for sale.

The retracts supposedly do not work, however, they can be replaced for about $9.10 each from HK.

It is beyond my current capabilities, at this stage, so I thought someone migth be interested, the video from HK shows it as a fast plane.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ouse_.html

RETRACTS:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...c_54g.html

Price is $80 From what I can tell it's never been flown, still new in the box.

It wouldn't kill me to miss flying for one day, but then again, why risk it.

I'll take it please.
I'll take it please Biggrin

George

"Crash and Cry! Don't fly"

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero
Freewing Eurofighter Typhoon & SU-34
Starmax F5e Tiger & 70mm F-18
FMS T-28 Trojan, P-38 Silver, 50mm F-86, C-17 Globmaster

Fly fly F-100
B-25 2.0m LX and A10 1.5m Langxiang (being glassed and re-built)
Seagull Super Tucano

(07-09-2013, 07:22 AM)Raptorfly Wrote:  I'll take it please.

No worries George

I'll bring down to the field today if you want, I can't make it there tomorrow.

My number is 0432 123 613 if todaay is not suitable.

Chris

Glad you picked that one up George, you really need a few more planes don't you, I hate to see people without enough aircraft to fly!

Parkzone Stryker 27 Evolution
E flite Ultra Stick , T 28 Carbon Z
Skyartec Skyfun Scorpion,Skyfun 90 EDF
Hobbyking Voltigeur, Funfighter T28, Mirage 2000, Minimoa 2.4m Glider
Jet Teng L-39 HPAT Stumax 90
Pheonix Tiger 50
FliteWork Extra 300 LPX 2.6M
Spectrum DX9i , DX6

Don't ever let the fear of landing keep you from taking off!

(07-09-2013, 02:30 PM)gbanger Wrote:  Glad you picked that one up George, you really need a few more planes don't you, I hate to see people without enough aircraft to fly!

This one is a challenging plane to fly...fast ....fast and fast.....fast take offs and fast landings. Certainly not for biggeners...

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
HK Cri Cri ugly,Super Cub 1870mm balsa, Sbach 1000mm balsa, Vampire, Katana E50 balsa, BA Hawke 90mm (on hold for large runway), Durafly BF110, Corsair,
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

I built this DH88 and both retracts were copletlely dead as advised by Chris. Easily replaced with some spare ones I had. Had to cut the thin aileron hinges and used pin/elbow type to hinge them up properly and removed the big chunky weight they had in the nose I all fit a lipo heavy enough to compensate. Tested on the bench and all worked well ready for maiden.
Maidened it today and take off was good at half throttle and it needed a few clicks up. It surprised me by flying really well at half speed. No sign of tips tall and it was tracking really well. I did a few passes at different speeds the plane looks so goog in the air and quite fast. I did a low pass and pulled up vertically did a stall turn opened her up at full throttle headed back towards us and wow she is fast,... then tried to turn in back over the strip but something went wrongShock
The plane didn't respond to right aeloron and shot past over my head back towards the people and car park... I turned quickly and pulled up elevator and tried to turn right but the plane spun inverted over the spectatorsWired left the elevator up to stop it from flying further away but ailerons would not respond correctly so it spun into the ground at full speedUpset
Took the plane home in pieces and started to put the jig saw back together... found the right aileron servo was dead and that caused the failure in the air.
The plane is scarred now but it will fly again.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

(16-09-2013, 12:06 AM)Raptorfly Wrote:  I built this DH88 and both retracts were copletlely dead as advised by Chris. Easily replaced with some spare ones I had. Had to cut the thin aileron hinges and used pin/elbow type to hinge them up properly and removed the big chunky weight they had in the nose I all fit a lipo heavy enough to compensate. Tested on the bench and all worked well ready for maiden.
Maidened it today and take off was good at half throttle and it needed a few clicks up. It surprised me by flying really well at half speed. No sign of tips tall and it was tracking really well. I did a few passes at different speeds the plane looks so goog in the air and quite fast. I did a low pass and pulled up vertically did a stall turn opened her up at full throttle headed back towards us and wow she is fast,... then tried to turn in back over the strip but something went wrongShock
The plane didn't respond to right aeloron and shot past over my head back towards the people and car park... I turned quickly and pulled up elevator and tried to turn right but the plane spun inverted over the spectatorsWired left the elevator up to stop it from flying further away but ailerons would not respond correctly so it spun into the ground at full speedUpset
Took the plane home in pieces and started to put the jig saw back together... found the right aileron servo was dead and that caused the failure in the air.
The plane is scarred now but it will fly again.

Sorry to hear of your mishap George. Glad you were impressed when it was flying correctly before it met with disaster.
I understood after I bought it that it was beyond my flying capabilities, hence why I sold it off. With your experience, and a touch of glue, Im certain it wont be long till its back in the air.

George

RadioBiggrinX9 & DX8
EScale Zero

Fly fly F-100
Seagull Super Tucano

NEVER MIND . glad it ended safely . thats the main thing . a few days ago at PEMAC , a guy was flying a piper cub and it started smoking in the air , then the pilot lost control and it became a dead weight ion the air on fire . it crashed just before long dry grass which covers hectares of land .
It was discovered that the lipo short circuited in flight and caught fire , so in relative terms yours was pretty good in comparison . both safe misshaps .
i'm sure you'll have it screaming through the air at 150km/hr in no time with better equip installed .

patience !!Biggrin paaatience !!Paranoid paaaaaatience Tounge paaaaaaatieeence Lol dooooohhhh !!! Upset

DANGER WIFE CAN READ FORUMS . love you darling . sig changed .